This article features advice about how to work with recruiters from an insider’s perspective and…
If you are looking for your next job, you might consider doing a job search “in reverse.” Oftentimes, people seek out job advertisements to look for job openings. They scroll through job search websites, such as Indeed, Simply Hired, Monster, and Idealist looking for jobs that suit them. This is certainly a common—perhaps the most common—strategy. But there’s also another way to look for a job.
Start looking for companies that you want to work for, and then start networking and looking for openings. Sometimes employees know of openings that are not yet posted, which can give you a leg up in having adequate time preparing your application materials. Additionally, if you do your research and know what companies interest you, then you can have more focus when you consult job search websites.
Frequently, parents seek family-friendly companies. But I suspect most people, and not just parents, enjoy working in an environment that offers a desirable work–life balance. I don’t think parents have that market cornered.
In the spirit of helping people conduct “reverse” job searches, here is a list of the 2013 North Carolina Family-Friendly Companies, as reported by Carolina Parent (September 2013). I work with clients from all over the country and internationally, but I thought local readers might find this list particularly helpful.
1. Achieve Therapy Services
2. Advanced Home Care
3. Alamance Regional Medical Center
4. Alston & Bird LLP
5. American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
6. The Angus Barn Ltd.
7. Arysta LifeScience North America
8. Auto Logic
9. Bayer CropScience
10. BDO USA LLP
11. Biogen Idec
12. Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
13. Bright Horizons Family Solutions
14. Capitol Broadcasting Company
15. Caterpillar Building Construction Products Division
16. Charlotte Eye Ear Nose and Throat Associates PA
17. Coastal Federal Credit Union
18. Duke University & Health Systems
19. Ernst and Young LLP
20. Grant Thornton LLP
21. Gupta Psychiatry
22. Hannover Life Reassurance Company of America
23. Hill, Chesson & Woody
26. Integrated Laboratory Systems Inc.
27. Kindermusik International
28. L&E Research
29. Lyerly Agency
30. Mims Distributing Company Inc.
31. Mulkey Engineers & Consultants
32. Nationwide Insurance
33. Novant Health West Forsyth Internal Medicine and Pediatrics
34. Novo Nordisk Pharmaceutical Industries Inc.
35. Providence Day School
36. Reading Solutions Raleigh
37. Replacements, Ltd.
38. Research Square
39. Rex Healthcare
40. Rho Inc.
41. RTI International
42. Speechcenter Inc.
44. Time Warner Cable
45. UNC Health Care
46. U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
48. WakeMed Health and Hospitals
49. Ward Black Law
50. Workplace Options